With the annual club league now well on the way anticipation is building to see who will be top. After four tough events and with a full season of winter training to back it up the top position is still up for grabs. Neil McAlister currently holds first place having not missed an event this year. Very close competition following Neil with Chris , Marty, Stephen and Pete hot on his wheel. Plenty of action yet to come in the weeks ahead.
The UCI Para-cycling Road World Cup will take place in Ostend this weekend. Over four days the time trial, road race and team relay are on the program in the different classes.
Best of luck to our own Chris Burns who will compete in the Road Race on Sunday as part of the Cycling Ireland Paracycling National Squad.
A few photos from last night on the towpath Nigel and Paul with the AXA community cycle down the towpath .
First night of the new Women on wheels initiative with cycle leaders Ruth McKee senior and junior . Still a few places left if you wish to register meeting at Scarva tearooms Monday’s at 6.30pm.
Well done to all involved. Two great initiatives to get more people out loving cycling as we all do.
Banbridge Inter Club Race League.
Event two in the Interclub League will take place tomorrow evening (Wednesday 15th May). It is a handicapped 4 Lap Road Race on the Annaclone Circuit.
Sign on and race administration will be from the Hawthorn Inn, with only minimal parking in the immediate area. Please keep the start/finish area clear of vehicles.
Race sign on will commence at 6.15pm. The race will start as close to 7.00pm as possible. Visitors are very welcome, however as we are restricted to a maximum of 80 riders, visitors will be accepted on first come basis.
There is a cut off at 6.50pm for club riders. At 6.50pm we will confirm visitors up to 80 competitors.
All club riders are reminded to have club race numbers fitted (securely as this is a bumpy route on the run in). Full club colours must also be worn.
Top 8 from each club will count towards club scores as usual. Lead cars will be on the circuit to add to safety.
Please come along and support your club, even if only as a spectator.
Race fee: £4 visitor/£2 competing clubs.
The Club League continued last night, Wednesday 8th May, with a toughly contested TT starting in Rathfriland and ending in Banbridge. The weather could have been kinder but this didn’t deter some great efforts on the course. Peter McBride took the win on the night securing his his time in the spotlight on Awards Night for the John Maxwell Cup.
The league continues to be closely fought with Chris McCann holding a slender lead with 81 points from 3 rounds. Chris is closely followed by Malcolm Jenkins with 76 points and by David Graham only one point behind with 75.
Banbridge Cycling Club will begin our defence as 2018 Champions in the Banbridge Inter Club Race League, on Wed 8th May. Ten events will test competitors with the first a "man o man" feisty Individual Time Trial dropping down from a start in Rathfriland and heading to Banbridge.. Let's hope those legs are ready for a great season ahead.
All competitors please note the following to assist organisers;
1. Sign on will commence at approx. 6.15pm and will be easily recognised as a gazebo will be in use. Positioned adjacent to Dromore Rd / Castle St Jct.
2. Competitors must sign on respective club sign on sheets and then ensure they are listed and informed of their start order.
3. First rider off at 7.pm. Riders are reminded to call out their start order number when crossing the finish line.
4. This is a non handicap event, run as 2 separate events, Aero and non Aero. TT Bikes are classed as Aero, Road bikes non Aero, however ANY ROAD BIKE FITTED WITH CLIP ON BARS OR WITH DISC WHEELS WILL BE TREATED AS AERO MODIFIED. Skin suits and Aero helmets can be worn by all riders.
5. Riders not in club colours will not count towards the team event. Please note all riders should have club numbers fitted to bikes to assist recognition.
6. 20m Rule applies. Any riders reported for drafting or working together will be disqualified.
7. Riders are reminded that this event starts with an extremely fast decent. Please acknowledge strength of wind, its direction and its potential effect on deep section and disc wheels. Please control your effort in line with your confidence and avoid the loss of front wheel control.
8. All are reminded to obey the rules of the road and bare in mind marshals are there only to assist and have no authority over other road users.
9. Finally, in good spirited competition, enjoy folks. Lets get it on !